Baked Bean Recipe for a Large Group
Baked Beans are made in the slow cooker and will stay warm until ready to serve.
Recipe makes 32 to 40 servings so this recipe is perfect for a family gathering and is portable in the slow cooker. Left over baked beans can be frozen.
Published June 8, 2013
UPDATE: July 8, 2018
I just added the little video clip of this recipe and wanted to update this webpage because we started smoking bacon to sprinkle on top of these amazing baked beans. We love to use the Traeger to smoke food and we started making this awesome snack we call “Candy Bacon” You put brown sugar on the bacon and then place the strips on the smoker for about 2 hours at 200 degrees until its crispy. We then cut the bacon into pieces and sprinkle it on top the baked beans. It is so dang amazing!
- 5- 28 ounce cans Bush's country style baked beans
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons prepared mustard
- Dice bacon, place in frying pan and cook until crisp. While the bacon is cooking combine beans, ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar in 5 quart slow cooker. Remove bacon from pan and place bacon on paper towels to drain grease. Drain fat out of frying pan into an empty can.
- In the frying pan the bacon was cooked in place the diced onion. Cook onion until tender. Put the cooked onion and bacon in the crock pot. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat in slow cooker on high until sauce bubbles. Turn the lid so that the steam can escape while cooking. Cook on High for about 4 hours. Stir every hour to make sure the beans are not over cooking on the bottom and sides. The beans are done when the sauce is the desired thickness.
- To shorten the cooking time you can remove some of the sauce by dipping a measuring cup into the beans, facing the side of the crockpot, and let the sauce run into the cup while keeping the beans out of the cup.