This is the easiest soup recipe on the planet.. which puts this soup in the “Super Soup” category.
The reason why this soup is a “Super Soup”
- We use items from food storage
- It’s a low calorie soup
- It’s easy to make
- And if there is left over soup it freezes well
This Chili can be made on the stove top, slow cooker, instant pot, the thermal cooker or can cooker. Our favorite way of cooking it is in a “Can Cooker” on the Traeger to smoke it. We like to take this soup with us camping because we can prepare the meat at home and freeze it a couple of weeks before we leave on our trip. At camp we just dump the ingredients into the Can Cooker and warm up the smokey goodness.
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 3 - 16 ounce cans Chili Beans or about 40 ounces
- 2 - 16 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 med. chopped onion (or 3 Tablespoons dehydrated onion)
- 1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté hamburger with onion & salt and pepper.
- Drain fat from meat (I also rinse meat with hot water to remove more fat).
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: When we make this recipe on the Traeger we smoke the Hamburger, Onion, Salt and Pepper on 250 until well done. First set the grill on a medium temperature and allow the meat to warm up to 100F and then switch the grill to smoke. This allows the meat fibers to open up so that the meat absorbs more smoke. (it will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour)
- When we take this recipe camping we make the meat at home and then place it into a freezer bag and freeze the meat. At camp we put the thawed meat into a can cooker along with the rest of the ingredients and cook for about and hour with the top lid off so the smoke can get inside of the can cooker.
Add Yummy Cornbread
I like to make Cornbread with this Chili. This is the recipe we like Sweet Cornbread
The Cornbread recipe calls for corn (which is optional). When I make the bread with corn there is some corn left over so sometimes I just throw that extra corn into the Chili.
When we go camping I make the cornbread up in a cake pan and bake it at home the day before our trip. This recipe is a very moist and sweet bread..it’s so awesome!
Can Cooker Video Class
We are preparing an outdoor cooking class about the Can Cooker so you’ll be seeing more posts about this subject! The Can Cooker is really an awesome Cooker to buy. It cooks on low heat and you can use it in your everyday cooking too. We like using it when we go camping because it’s easy to clean up. Subscribe to our website or follow us on Youtube so you won’t miss our posts about it.
When I don’t have a Traeger to cook on, I use this one burner butane stove. It’s very inexpensive to buy and the fuel is very reasonable. I also use this stove when I cook with a thermal cooker.