Baked Bean Recipe for a Large Group
Baked Beans are made in the slow cooker and will stay warm until ready to serve.
Recipe makes 32 to 40 servings so this recipe is perfect for a family gathering and is portable in the slow cooker. Left over baked beans can be frozen.
Published June 8, 2013
- 5- 28 ounce cans Bush's country style baked beans
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons prepared mustard
- Dice bacon, place in frying pan and cook until crisp. While the bacon is cooking combine beans, ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar in 5 quart slow cooker. Remove bacon from pan and place bacon on paper towels to drain grease. Drain fat out of frying pan into an empty can.
- In the frying pan the bacon was cooked in place the diced onion. Cook onion until tender. Put the cooked onion and bacon in the crock pot. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat in slow cooker on high until sauce bubbles. Turn the lid so that the steam can escape while cooking. Cook on High for about 4 hours. Stir every hour to make sure the beans are not over cooking on the bottom and sides. The beans are done when the sauce is the desired thickness.
- To shorten the cooking time you can remove some of the sauce by dipping a measuring cup into the beans, facing the side of the crockpot, and let the sauce run into the cup while keeping the beans out of the cup.