This Raisin Bread in a jar is easy to make and the end product looks like you spent the day in the kitchen. The Raisin Bread recipe can be stored in a regular mouth canning jar in food storage and then easily mixed by hand or the dough can be made in the bread maker. I use to measure the ingredients every time I made a loaf and I made this recipe by hand but I am extremely busy now and need to manage my time so having bread recipes in a jar saves me a lot of time. Jar recipes also save a lot of money because you can buy the ingredients in bulk. Click this link to learn the basics instructions for making bread recipes in a jar. LINK TO BE ADDED
Saf-instant yeast is used in this recipe. It has a two year shelf life but when you purchase the yeast pay attention to the expiration date because you don’t want to purchase yeast that has been sitting on the store shelf for a long time. The expiration date of the yeast will become the shelf life for the Raisin Bread in the jar. When the yeast is the first ingredient placed in the jar it will be the last ingredient to go in the bread maker pan. Because the flour will separate the yeast from the water you can put the ingredients in the bread maker early in the day and set the timer so the machine will start later in the day.
To make the raisin bread you will remove the baggie of raisins and the baggie with the cinnamon and sugar from the jar and sit them aside. Put 1 1/4 cup of warm water in the bread machine pan and then dump the jar ingredients into the pan. Set the bread machine on the dough cycle. (you will not be baking the bread in the bread machine).
When the dough is completed in the bread maker remove the pan from the bread maker. Spray the counter top with non-stick cooking spray and then place the dough on the counter. Add the baggie of raisins on top of the dough and knead the raisins into the dough until they are evenly disbursed. Spray the rolling pin with non-stick cooking spray and use your hand to smear the stray evenly around the rolling pin. Roll the dough so that its the width of the bread pan and then 12-18 inches length. Place the baggie of cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and stir to mix well and then sprinkle the mixture over the dough.
Roll the dough into a loaf. Spray the bread loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and place the loaf of bread dough in the pan, placing the seam side down in the bottom of pan. Spray the dough with the cooking spray and then cover the pan with plastic wrap (to hold in the heat and moisture of the dough). Let the dough rise in the pan for about 30 minutes until it is double in size.
Remove the plastic wrap and bake the bread at 375 degrees for 35-50 minutes, until golden brown. When you use bread pans that are darker in color, like the pans that are pictured, the bread will bake faster than if it was baked in pans that are a silver in color. I usually bake the bread in the darker pans for about 35-40 minutes.
- Place the ingredients in a clean and dry canning jar in the following order
- 2 teaspoon Saf-instant yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/8 cup Augason brand whole powdered egg
- 1/8 cup powdered shortening
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- in a small baggie place 2/3 cup of raisins. Tie a knot on the baggie and place the baggie inside the jar on top of the powdered ingredients
- In another small baggie place 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Tie a knot in the baggie and place inside of the jar on top of the baggie of raisins
- 1 1/4 cup of warm water is added to the jar of ingredients at cooking time
- After you have filled the jar clean the glass rim of the jar with a damp clean cloth to remove any powdered ingredients.
- Remove the oxygen from the jar by either placing an oxygen absorber in the jar or by using a food saver to remove the oxygen from the jar. Detailed instructions are on the food saver webpage [url href=”http://homemakingdivas.com/foodsaver_meals/” target=”_blank” title=”Sealing Jars with a FoodSaver”]CLICK THIS LINK[/url]
- Tags with cooking instructions can be printed and attached to the jar. A PDF Tag file can be purchased [url href=”http://homemakingdivas.com/raisin-bread-in-a-jar/” target=”_blank” title=”Cinnamon Swirled Raisin Bread in a Jar”]CLICK THIS LINK[/url]