Baked Bean Recipe for a Large Group
Baked Beans are made in the slow cooker and will stay warm until ready to serve.
Recipe makes 32 to 40 servings so this recipe is perfect for a family gathering and is portable in the slow cooker. Left over baked beans can be frozen.
Published June 8, 2013
- 5- 28 ounce cans Bush’s country style baked beans
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons prepared mustard
- Dice bacon, place in frying pan and cook until crisp. While the bacon is cooking combine beans, ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar in 5 quart slow cooker. Remove bacon from pan and place bacon on paper towels to drain grease. Drain fat out of frying pan into an empty can.
- In the frying pan the bacon was cooked in place the diced onion. Cook onion until tender. Put the cooked onion and bacon in the crock pot. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat in slow cooker on high until sauce bubbles. Turn the lid so that the steam can escape while cooking. Cook on High for about 4 hours. Stir every hour to make sure the beans are not over cooking on the bottom and sides. The beans are done when the sauce is the desired thickness. To shorten the cooking time you can remove some of the sauce by dipping a measuring cup into the beans, facing the side of the crockpot, and let the sauce run into the cup while keeping the beans out of the cup.
Note: If using a temperature probe program to heat until 145 degrees. The slow cooker will automatically turn to warm setting when it reaches that temperature.
Preparation time is approximately 15 min.
Print some copies of the recipe before you go to the party because people will ask for the recipe… and they will scrape the slow cooker almost clean.
Nutrition for 1/2 cup Serving
Total Fat 3.0 g
Cholesterol 6.3 mg
Sodium 816.4 mg
Potassium 61.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
Sugar 24.3 g
Protein 8.9 g